December 9, 2019

Sad Irons and Chalkware Santa's

 These are a few of my favorite finds! 

I just love Sad Irons...and I don't think one could have too many! 
I'm always on the lookout...especially if i find one for under $20.

Did you know that 'Sad' is an old English word for solid?  The term 'Sad Iron' was often used to distinguish the largest and heavies irons, usually weighing between 5 and 9 lbs.  





Chalkware Love 

There is something primitive and special about these pieces.  
Made using vintage chocolate molds, then hand painted.  


And of course, the stockings were hung by the chimney with care...

What are your favorite finds?

May your Christmas Season be filled with Joy.
~karen

4 comments:

  1. Looks like your home is all decked out and ready for Christmas! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great pieces and collections. Thank you for the history lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of small irons though I don't know where they are right now. I did not know sad meant solid, so thanks for the knowledge. Your house looks really festive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a couple sad irons, and one with a wooden handle... not sure if it is sad (solid) too. Thanks for that info. If I count all my sewing machines (including the 2 of hubby's) we have 10 of those. One is a little hand crank that does not have a bobbin, it is like the ones on pet food bags.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...