May 29, 2015

1930's Farm Collection

I'm sure by now lots of quilters are familiar with Laurie Aaron Hird's new book!  Isn't it beautiful?  

Many of you have asked if i am creating modern rotary cut instructions for her book.  The answer is no...Laurie has done a great job including not only template piecing and paper piecing instructions, but also rotary cut measurements for blocks that can easily be converted.

However....I could not just sit back and not be inspired!  Look what i purchased yesterday!  Ahhh Love!!

I pondered the possibility of making blocks from Laurie's new 1930's book...but honestly...the blocks in her new book just don't speak to me the way her first book does.  Perhaps it's because i have spent so much time with her original Farmer's Wife Sampler.
It's like an old warm friend.  Tattered, True, Test of Time.  

Even with rotary cut measurements included in the new book, there's still quite a bit of  work to be done.  I was disappointed that easy rotary cut measurements for the setting triangles are not included.  They are only offered as templates.  

With all that said...i'm sharing my modern rotary block instructions for Block One, Attic Window from the original Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt book.  I'm using Maywood's 'Walk in the Park' fabric line as my 1930's inspiration and throwing in scraps from my stash too.

To make Attic Windows from the original Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt book....with my rotary cut instructions...(using the colors below)
Cut (2) 4-1/2" squares pink floral
Cut (2) 2-1/2" x 6-1/2" light pink rectangles
Cut (2) 2-1/2" blue squares
Cut (1) 2-1/2" center square 

1. Sew the blue 2-1/2" squares to opposites sides of the center square as shown above.
2. Press towards the blue.  
3. Next, sew the light pink 2-1/2" x 6-1/2" rectangles to either side of Step 1.

4.  Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of each 4-1/2" pink floral squares

 5.  With right sides together, place one pink floral square on top of the completed Step 3 unit...and stitch directly on the drawn line.

 6.  Trim the excess fabric, flip and press

7. Repeat Step 5 and 6 on the opposite corner

Attic Window complete!  No templates and no paper piecing!

If you have the original Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt book but love the look of the New 1930's Farmer's Wife quilt...dust off your book...and come farm with those using my lessons!  

Need a copy of either book?  You'll find both offered through my Amazon link.  The Original FW Here and the 1930's FW Here
Check out our Facebook group HERE!
Happy Farming!!

3 comments:

  1. I have made two of the original Farmer’s Wife quilts and may have to follow along with you making one from my thirties fabrics. Your block is so pretty are you going to post directions for all the blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your fabric choices. I am going to start the Farmer's Wife with your instructions next month (I hope !!!!).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...